Sore Throat – Causes, Symptoms and Its Treatment – Sore throat is the condition when there is irritation, scratchiness, pain in the throat. The primary condition of sore throat is throat pain and difficulty or pain while swallowing food. There are various symptoms, causes and treatment of sore throat. Today I am going to discuss elaborately on this. So, check out my post Sore Throat – Causes, Symptoms and Its Treatment below.
Sore Throat – Causes, Symptoms and Its Treatment
Sore Throat Symptoms
The preliminary symptoms of sore throat may be :
- Pain in throat while swallowing food
- A dry throat
- Swollen glands in the neck
- White patches / pus on the tonsils
- Difficulty swallowing
- Inflammation of the throat (pharynx)
The other signs and symptoms caused due to sore throat infections which may be :
- Runny nose
- Body aches
- Nausea or vomiting
Causes of Sore throat
Sore throat can be due to various reasons :
Sore throat is quiet common if you have viral infection such as cough and cold, flu or influenza, chicken pox, measles, croup( breaking cough caused due to infection of the larynx), Mononucleosis which is an infectious disease typically transmitted through saliva.
- Whooping cough, a highly contagious respiratory tract infection which is the disease of respiratory mucous membrane.
- Strep throat, which is caused by a bacterium known as Streptococcus Pyogenes, streptococcus bacteria.
- Diphtheria, a serious infectious respiratory illness that’s rare in industrialized nations, but is more common in developing countries
GERD is basically Gastroesophageal reflux disease which may cause your sore throat. It occurs due to indigestion issue which causes the back flow of stomach acid into the esophagus. This condition causes an array of symptoms, such as a sore throat, hoarseness, heartburn, and nausea.
Excessive smoking, dry air exposure also causes sore throat issues. If you are allergic towards mold, irritants, pet dander, perfume, pollen and exposure to these may cause sore throat issue as this may cause mucus to get contaminated in the back of your throat which causes irritation in throat.
A person who is HIV-positive may have a chronic or recurring sore throat due to a secondary infection Throat cancer or tumors may also be the cause of sore infection and sore throat.
Treatment of sore throat
Sore throat can be treated in various ways depending on the cause of course.
The home remedies which can be tried out are :
- Drink plenty of warm fluids, such as teas, soup, and water by adding little salt
- Gargle with warm salt water
- Have throat lozenges
- Try to reduce inflammation with ibuprofen or acetaminophen
- Try to avoid allergens and irritants, such as smoke and chemicals
- Have honey and ginger as both are good for throat.
In case it sever due to some bacterial issues you need to consult a doctor, where doctor may treat you by prescribing antibiotic or may lead to tonsillectomy to surgically remove the tonsils.
Always maintain some precaution as it is necessary. Keep your hands and feet free from germs. Cover your mouth while sneezing. Avoid cigarette smoking. Keep your house humid free.
Get more Tips like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting Tips and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.