Pneumonia Vaccination and Its side effects – Pneumonia vaccination or Pneumococcal vaccination is a vaccination method to prevent lung infection which is caused by pneumococcus bacteria. The pneumonia vaccine is injected into the body which helps to stimulate normal immune system which will produce anti bodies that are directed against pneumococcus bacteria. Pneumococcus bacteria are of 83 types among which vaccination covers 23 of them. Pneumococcal vaccination is also known as pneumococcal immunization. Pneumonia vaccination prevents serious blood, brain, as well as lung infections from the Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria. Infections caused by these bacteria are called pneumococcal disease such as pneumonia, meningitis, and septicemia. Today I will talk about Pneumonia Vaccination and Its side effects.
Pneumonia Vaccination and Its side effects
Pneumonia vaccination can be taken by
- For children under the age of 2 a special conjugated vaccine has been developed to stimulate less developed immune systems.
Adults who should consider Pneumonia vaccination are
- Those with chronic heart or lung disorders or suffered from chronic liver disease, chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, diabetes mellitus, alcoholism, emphysema, heart failure as well as chronic bronchitis. Also those who suffered from spinal fluid leak, spleen dysfunction, kidney failure, organ transplantation, HIV infection, lack of spleen, leukemia, cancer, lymphoma and multiple myeloma.
- Adults above 65 years of age
Pneumonia Vaccination must be avoided if the person faces
- Severe allergy to any of the ingredients of vaccines
- Life-threatening allergic reaction to any kind of vaccine
- Also pregnant woman are advised to take doctors advice for vaccination.
Side Effects of Pneumonia Vaccination
Though Pneumonia vaccine is safe still it has some side effects.
In babies under two years of age
- Redness at the site of the injection
- Hardness or swelling at the site of the injection
- Not sleeping well
- Decreased appetite
- A slightly raised temperature
- Feeling sleepy
- Allergic itchy skin rash
- High temperature, possibly leading to convulsions
Side effects in children above two years of age and adults
- Rapid heart beat
- Behavior changes
- Breathing difficulty, including wheezing
- Pale skin
- Hoarse voice
- High fever or slightly raised temperature
- Muscle aches
- Hives or mild soreness or hardness at the site of the injection lasting one to three days
Serious effects of Pneumonia vaccination
Allergic reaction is known as an anaphylactic reaction which may result to life-threatening breathing difficulties as well as collapse. This may happen within a minute of the injection. So doctors’ observance is really required. Also it is advisable to seek immediate medical care if you notice any of these signs after receiving Pneumonia vaccination.
Get more Tips like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting Tips and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.