Benefits of using Cucumber on Puffy Eyes – You have heard it many times to put cucumber slices to get rid of puffy eyes, but what are the actual benefits of cucumber for puffy eyes? Have you ever wondered why you are asked to put cucumber on eyes? This article will be answering all your queries about how to reduce puffy eyes with cucumber. Puffy eyes or more commonly known as under eye bags are one of the most frustrating problems both for men and women. Since us ladies are more concerned about our looks and all, puffy eyes bothers us more. Puffy eyes can make you look ill, tired and aged. There are several factors to be blamed for puffy eyes, like lack of sleep, cold weather, allergy, water retention under the eyes, crying, thyroid problem, too much sodium in the diet etc. While there are many natural remedies for puffy eyes, using cucumber is probably the most popular. So, lets check out the benefits of cucumber for puffy eyes and how to reduce puffy eyes with cucumber.
Benefits of using Cucumber on Puffy Eyes
Below we are going to discuss cucumber benefits for reducing puffy eyes –
- Cucumber contains ascorbic acid and caffeic acid which are very beneficial to bring down the water retention in the eyes and thus, helps to reduce the under eye puffiness. This is one of the main reasons of using cucumber for eyes.
- Another reason why we use cucumber on eyes are due to its natural astringent properties. Cucumber juice is a natural astringent which lifts saggy skin and increases skin elasticity naturally.
- Many at times puffy eyes are accompanied by irritation. We know that cucumber has natural cooling and soothing properties. Therefore, putting cucumber slices on the eyes can help to bring down the irritation.
- Cucumber is rich in antioxidants and flavonoids which are very much beneficial to soothe inflammation and gradually reduce the under eye puffiness.
- The natural cooling properties of cucumber helps to decrease blood flow around the eyes and helps to bring down the puffiness. This is one of the main reasons of using cucumber for eyes, specially for puffy eyes.
These were some of the main benefits of cucumber for puffy eyes. There are several other cucumber benefits for eyes which we will discuss later on.
How to Reduce Puffy Eyes with Cucumber
Now that we know about the benefits of cucumber to get rid of puffy eyes, its time to find out how to reduce puffy eyes by using cucumber. Below we have discussed some of the easiest ways to use cucumber for eyes, or puffy eyes to be specific 🙂
Cucumber and Potato
Mix 2 tbsp each of cucumber juice and potato juice. Soak two cotton balls in the juice mix and place them under your eyes. Close your eyes and relax for 3-4 minutes. Remove the cotton pads and wash off. Repeat this 2-3 timer per day for faster result.
This is a great way to use cucumber for puffy eyes. Potato juice contains “catecholase” which helps to bring down the water retention under the eyes and thus, reduces under eye puffiness. Secondly, it also has anti inflammatory properties that reduce puffy eyes effectively. And we are already aware about cucumber benefits on eyes. So, this combination of cucumber juice and potato juice acts as a great remedy to reduce puffy eyes.
Also read Beauty Tips for Naturally Beautiful Eyes
Cucumber and Lemon
Mix equal amount of cucumber juice and lemon juice. Soak a couple of cotton pads in there and gently apply it all over the eyes. Then, place the cotton pads under your eyes and rest for 15-20 minutes. Don’t forget to close your eyes. Wash it off after 20 minutes.
Lemon juice contains Vitamin C that shrinks blood vessels and reduce the water accumulation under the eyes. Thus, this home remedy works excellent to reduce puffy eyes.
Cucumber and Rose Water
Another very effective natural remedy for puffy eyes is to use the combination of cucumber juice and rose water. We already know the benefits of cucumber for puffy eyes and how it helps to bring down the puffiness. Rose water is known for its anti-inflammatory properties which again help to reduce swelling under the eyes and thus, helps us to get rid of puffy eyes.
All you have to do is to mix equal amount of cucumber juice and rose water and dip two cotton balls there. Place them under the eyes. Close your eyes and relax for 15-20 minutes. After that, rinse off with cold water. You can repeat the entire process 3-4 times per day for best result.
Also read Top 6 Foods to Improve Our Eyesight
Cucumber and Aloe Vera
If you are wondering how to reduce puffy eyes naturally, then here is an excellent remedy for you!
Mix together some cucumber juice and aloe vera gel. Make sure it has a paste like consistency. Put this in a small container and refrigerate for few hours. Apply this mixture under your eyes before hitting the sack at night. You can use your ring finger to gently massage the mixture under your eyes. Next morning wash the eyes with cold water. Doing this on regular basis will help to get rid of puffy eyes soon.
One of the main cucumber benefits for eyes is its antioxidant contents which soothe inflammation. Aloe vera gel, too, contains antioxidants that helps to bring down the swelling. The vitamin E present in the aloe vera gel helps to prevent under eye wrinkles as well.
Cucumber and Coconut Oil
This is a simple homemade concoction that not only reduce puffy eyes, but also helps to avoid wrinkles and lines under the eyes. Take a medium sized cucumber, peel it and cut into small pieces. Put them in a blender. Add 1/4th cup of aloe vera gel and 2 tbsp of coconut oil there. Blend until you get a smooth mixture. Pour the mixture in an ice tray and put it inside the freezer to form ice cubes. After few hours, take out 2 ice cubes and gently rub them around the eyes.
Once done, splash some cold water on your eyes and pat dry. Do this treatment every morning to get rid of under eye puffiness faster. This home remedy includes cucumber benefits for eyes along with the goodness of coconut oil and aloe vera gel. Coconut oil is beneficial to reduce the accumulation of water under the eyes. It also moisturizes and keep the under eye area hydrated which helps to avoid untimely wrinkles. Aloe vera gel, as we have already seen, helps to reduce swelling and prevents wrinkles from appearing, thanks to its anti oxidant properties.
Cucumber and Green Tea
Make some green tea and cool it down. Dip two cucumber slices into it and wait for few minutes. Next, put the slices inside the refrigerator for few hours. Then, put the chilled cucumber slices on the eyes for 10-15 minutes. Remove the slices and wash the eyes with cold water. Repeat this process at least once daily to treat under eye bags or under eye puffiness.
Cucumber is a rich source of antioxidants which is one of the main benefits of cucumber and a vital reason why we use cucumber for puffy eyes. Green tea, too, is high in antioxidants that reduce water retention under the eyes.
Other Benefits of Cucumber for Eyes
So we have seen the cucumber benefits for puffy eyes. Now, lets take a look at the other benefits of cucumber for eyes.
- When you place freshly sliced cucumber on eyes, it helps to revive the skin around the eyes and help to keep the skin firm, thanks to its astringent properties.
- Another well known benefits of cucumber for eyes is its ability to reduce dark circles. Cucumber has mild skin lightening properties. This is why cucumber on eyes is commonly used to get rid of dark circles. It not only treats under eye dark circles, but also keep the skin around your eyes glowing and youthful.
- Another benefit of cucumber for eyes is its ability to bring down irritation of eyes due to any insect bite or allergic reaction to any product. Cucumber contains vitamin C which is a very powerful anti oxidant and helps to get rid of any irritation. Just soak two cotton balls in cucumber juice and gently rub the eyes when they are closed.
- Cucumber on eyes can also be used to rejuvenated tired eyes. It contains 95% water which not only moisturizes the eye area but also acts as a great refreshing agent for tired eyes.
- Cucumber can prevent under eye wrinkles, blemishes and other signs of aging which is another cucumber benefit for eyes. Being a rich source of Vitamin E and potassium, cucumber acts as a great anti oxidant agent and helps to reduce the signs of aging.
- Cucumber on eyes can also be used to improve our vision. It contains vitamin A which is essential for good eye health. It improves vision and prevents cataract and blindness. Eating cucumber as well as using cucumber on eyes is helpful to get all the benefits.
So, these were all about cucumber benefits for eyes. As you can see, cucumber on eyes is very helpful in treating several issues like dark circles, puffy eyes, prevent aging and keep the skin around our eyes firm, glowing and youthful.
Get more Tips like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting Tips and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.