Degenerative Disc – Causes, Symptoms and Its Treatment – Degenerative Disc Disease is also known as Degenerative Disc Disorder. It is basically disease of degeneration of one or more invertible disc or spine. This happens mostly in old age but can cause severe chronic problems if left untreated. Degenerative Disc can be cause for frequent low back pain among adults. Check out my post Degenerative Disc – Causes, Symptoms and Its Treatment below.
Degenerative Disc – Causes, Symptoms and Its Treatment
Degenerative disease causes with the old age. Old age is a prime factor. With old age inter vertebral disc lose their elasticity, flexibility and shock absorbing capacity. Degenerative Disc can even cause injury at back. Due to old age disc lose the water content and the nerve opening in the spine becomes narrow. The disc looses the height and the vertebrae get closer. Even poor postures, incorrect body movements may lead to degeneration of disc.
- Chronic low back pain
- Pain radiating towards hip
- Pain in highs and buttocks while walking
- Weakness or sporadic tingling or numbness through hands, knees and fingers
- Chronic neck pain and cervical spine pain
- Feeling pain while bending, sitting, twisting, moving and lifting
- Cervical Arterial Disease may also cause interrupted blood supply to brain resulting diminution of cognitive abilities, and memory, vertigo and headaches.
Degenerative Disc requires combine treatment of:
- Physical Therapy
- Chiropractic Treatment
- Chiropractic Manipulative Therapy
- Osteopathic manipulation
- Anti-inflammatory medications such as Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, traction, or spinal injections to provide relief from pain
Also read Exercise for Healthy Knees
Surgery is necessary most often spinal fusion. Surgeries are followed out in severe cases. Surgeries are recommended if consecutive treatment does not provide relief within two to three months. When the pain limits the normal activity and makes it difficult to walk or stand then surgical treatment is necessary. The surgical treatments are of various types which include:
- Dynamic Stabilization
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion:
Also read 5 Easy Ways to Build Strong Bones
- Intervertebral disc annuloplasty (IDET)
- Intervertebral disc arthroplasty
- Percutaneous Laser Disc-Decompression (PLDD)
- Percutaneous disc decompression
- Spinal laminectomy
- Spinal decompression
- Cervical corpectom
Also read How to Fix Stiff Neck Quickly
Various other treatments are upcoming and also under clinical trial period. Glucosamine injections act as pain relief for aggressive treatment options. Adult stem cell therapies for disc regeneration are available for their infants. In Europe and US artificial disc replacement multi-level disc replacement of the cervical and lumbar spine is in practice. The treatment is followed out after proper diagnosis of X-Ray and magnetic resonance imaging or MRI.
Get more Tips like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting Tips and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.